Monday 13 September 2021

Radiotherapy Day 4

Got to the RT building today, driven by Husband.
Would you like to have a parking permit until the end? asks the nice man at reception.
The end of what? I wonder.
Yes, said Husband.
Aha, I thought. The end of radiotherapy.
So we got that, and Husband nipped out to put it in the car.
Waiting room has one man in it today.
I sit down and smile at him. We get chatting.
His wife finishes her RT on the 12th April.
But, he says, I have to start my treatment. I just got diagnosed with Non-Hodgekin Lymphoma. 6 months of chemotherapy to come.
I make sympathetic noises. And listen. And listen some more. He's a sweetheart of a man.
It's treatable! he says. And I beam at him.
I'm called in, and so I reluctantly leave him.
This time as I lie on the RT bed, I have a picture of Jesus and I climbing a mountain, with him holding my hand and pulling me up over the difficult rocks. It's beautiful up there. Then we're in a forest and the trees are as high as a cathedral, green and shadowy.
All done, says the nurse.
And I'm finished for the day.
The man has gone when I get back to the waiting room, but the same couple from yesterday are back, the wife having her treatment. I introduce her husband to my Husband. We discover that we are going to the same thing on Friday night at a church nearby.
Hooray! I say.
See you there, he says, with a cheery smile.
And we leave. By the sea front. It is definitely the best way home.


No comments: