Monday 13 September 2021

Radiotherapy Day 10

Jackie picks me up today. Lovely sunny morning.
We drive down, sun dancing off the sea. Husband stays at home to walk the dog. Mum comes with me.
We arrive and Mum and I walk down the corridor, announcing to John at reception that I've arrived.
In we go to B1. And wait. There's a 20 minute delay today. We've never had that before.
Jackie comes and joins us, having parked the car.
We sit and chat.
Out comes a lady in an identical burgundy hospital gown to mine.
The man opposite us asks her about her treatment.
Do you have to go back in? he asks.
Yes, she says. I couldn't breathe properly.
Oh, dear, we say from our corner. What happened?
She tells us how she has to hold her breath for 20 seconds and how she couldn't manage it.
We make sympathetic noises.
The father of the man opposite us comes back in. He is ancient, with a beautiful smile.
Well done, we say.
And they leave.
The lady in the burgundy is called back in. My heart sinks. I thought I was next.
So we sit back, prepared to wait.
30 minutes wait, it says on the screen.
Oh well, we say. And chat about things and this and that.
The burgundy lady still hasn't come out.
I'm called in.
The machine does its thing.
I have a picture of Jesus lying just above me, with his chest to the machine. He is taking all the rays on my behalf. I am so grateful I want to weep! We lie there together. Just him and me.
All done, says the nurse.
We go home via the sea front. And Jackie comes in when we arrive back so that we can ring Vicki about our business. Mum sits in the sitting room reading her book while we finish our work.
The dog is walked.
Life goes on. And what a wonderful life it is.

No comments: