Sunday 5 June 2011

Daughters... a mixed blessing?

Half term was upon us and we had done Bugger All.
'What are we doing today?' would ask Daughter, aged Almost Eleven, twiddling with her hair and looking bored, even though it's only 7.05 am.
'Um.' I'd say. Which is all I seem to say when asked that question.
That question makes me paralysed with Crap Mother Paralysis.
When you can't think of a good answer because you don't want to do ANYTHING today except eat breakfast, drink coffee and read the paper. And then go back to bed.
Had no courses booked.
Had no friends booked.
Had nothing planned, bar visiting family over the first weekend.
And was loving it. Except for Bored Daughter asking what we are doing today, we would have had rather a nice time.
I had thoroughly cleaned the kitchen.
I had thoroughly cleaned the top of my desk, papers not needed any more chucked out, and the rest put carefully away into the right files.
Thrilling!
Except for Bored Daughter.
Who managed to instill panic that am Crap Mother by her tones of quiet resignation that today would be another Boring Day.
Oh, dear.
So. What to do?
Had asked her to ring her friends and arrange a play date.
No friends are around, it seemed.
Had asked her to get her swimming things out, and we would Go Swimming with her brothers.
'But you will hate that,Mummy,' she says.
'No, I won't,' I lied.
She looked miserable AND bored at the same time. Amazing combination.
We decided not to go swimming.
I arranged a riding lesson for her at the end of the week.
'But that's ages away,' she complained, looking irritated, miserable AND bored.
Again, impressed at the mix of emotions.
And so I arranged a little visit to one of my friends, with loads of children.
She hated it.
'They were all much younger than me, Mummy. It was SOOO boring.'
Aside from beating her with a concrete pavement, was flummoxed on what to DO with the girl. Until I realised that maybe, just maybe, she needed a hug.
And so she got one. Arms tight round her, and breathing in her hair type of hug.
And I felt her misery and boredom leaving her, as she hugged me back.
'Sorry, Mummy,' she whispered.
And I kissed the top of her head.
Daughters.
Precious.


And here she is... throwing herself into a lake after a sailing lesson... (NOT booked this half term)

13 comments:

Reasons said...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but were'nt we bored all the time when we were young?? ;-)

Anonymous said...

Oh heck, this post has brought a lump to my throat. You were describing Amy there and those hugs are incredibly precious. It's quite amazing how they make all the negative emotions disappear.

And I wanted to thank you for your very kind words on my blog today. I was extremely touched.

CJ xx

Ladybird World Mother said...

Reasons - Yup, bored to bits... I think that was my mantra...There's nothing to dooooooooooooo...
CJ - oh, bless you! Meant every word. Thanks for visiting, means a lot, and for the comment!! Isn't interaction the best..xx

Maggie Christie said...

I love this post! We did bugger all this half term too and were bored all the time (according to my nine-year-old daughter). It was great! Do we need to book school holidays up solid with things to do? No.

Dorset Dispatches said...

Loved this post. Just gorgeous. And I remember being bored all the time at that age. Nothing to do. Read loads. Is now my idea of total heaven!

Expat mum said...

We are 3 days away from being finished for the summer. And that's three months off too. This time however, my only daughter goes away - for good. Well, to college anyway. Sniff.

London City (mum) said...

Oh yes, that dreadful refrain of "I'm booooooored!"
I was a real pro at it when the same age. Yet somehow, in the pre-computer/internet/gadget era we still found a way to entertain ourselves.

But a hug goes a long, long way to making you feel better. That much I CAN guarantee!

LCM x

Exmoorjane said...

Came over to thank you for your lovely comments recently but oh oh oh...yes, yes, yes....nothing booked, nothing done over half-term except one visit to cinema (cos I wanted to see the film!)...and yeah, we WERE bored as children. What is wrong with the youth of today *grumpy old woman voive*???

Milla said...

aaahhh! sweetums. Still, at least you got the house tidy: kudos.
In My Day, however, we weren't allowed to be bored. If we were we were soon handed the hoover and a duster. Probably why I don't go near either now!

Milla said...

yes, and meant to say thanks for your comment on mine! I tend to blog-visit in splurges as otherwise I'd never leave what is laughingly called the study.
We would have done nothing but we went to Cornwall. Because it was free not because I'm nice. Love the doing of nothing on holidays, term is so grimly time-tabled!

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

Bored ten year olds are a joy compared to bored fourteen year-olds you unwisely take camping to France ( well , you can't just leave them at home on their own , can you ..... Can you ? )

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

Awwwwwww! Well, I suppose I have all this to come. Such a good post :)

MadameSmokinGun said...

My mother would always say 'Oh we were NEVER bored when we were YOUR age...' and witter on about lovely bike rides and drinking vinegar out the bottle etc.... (yawning in memory......) and finish off with 'Only boring people say they're bored!' Now I find myself snapping 'God I would LOVE to be bored! I've got SO MUCH to do! Go and FIND something to do. Only boring people say they're bored-' ooops....