Monday 13 September 2021

Radiotherapy Day 9

Today Vicki took me again, but this time my mother came too! She has come to stay for a week, so that she can be here and see for herself how well I am coping.  Telephone calls every night simply don't achieve the same thing.
A grey mizzly day. Brighton cold and damp.
Arrived at the RT centre a quarter of an hour early and sit on the opposite side of the room, away from the knitting. There are two lots of people waiting today. One woman in a hospital wheel chair. She is in a lot of pain, and is offered more pain killers. Her back hurts when she lies down, so she's preparing for a painful RT. I think it must be her first.
I'm in and out as quick as ever.
The machine clicks and whirrs and I lie and stare at the ceiling, at the funny little green light above my head. Today Jesus and I are dancing again, Fred and Ginger style. And then I laugh as Jesus starts to play an organ, jazz type music, and I feel his joy as he plays the chords up and down the keys.
All done, Helen, says the nurse.
And I get up and say goodbye, see you tomorrow.
And we drive back home, where we wave goodbye to Vicki, and have a much deserved cup of tea in front of a roaring fire.
Bliss.

No comments: